Plattekill Public Library

Board of Trustees

September 10, 2015


The meeting was called to order at 7:02 PM with the Pledge of Allegiance.


Present were:                Lynne Ridgeway, President; Valerie Smith, Vice President; Karen Adamson, Assistant Treasurer; Will Farrell; Trustee, Joe Egan, Trustee: David Padilla; Luz Ledesma, Trustee; John Georghiou, Director; Barbara Jacobini, Treasurer; Donna Ebanks, Secretary


Excused: Luz Ledesma


Public Comment:






Secretary’s Report:


           Motion to accept the August 13, 2015 minutes was made by Karen Adamson and seconded by David Padilla; Joe Egan abstained and all others were in favor.


Financial Report:

Was read and discussed.


The financial report was presented and reviewed by Treasurer Barbara Jacobini.


Barbara reported the Library received a $100 donation from Hurd’s Farm, a local orchard.  Hurd’s held a Duck Derby fundraising event, with the intention of making a donation to the Library’s Building Fund.


The warrant of checks was distributed for signatures.


           Motion to approve payment of bills following audit was made by Karen Adamson, seconded by Will Farrell: all others in favor.


           Motion to approve payment of payroll for the past two months was made by Joe Egan, seconded by David Padilla; all others in favor.


Director’s Report:

Was read and discussed.


John reported the Board of Elections will run the voters’ registration list and have it available for the Library on September 14.  John will notify the Board via email when the GOTV phone lists are ready.


Will recommended the Friends do one post card mailing; John will email Friends President Cathy Padilla to see if this is a possibility at this time.


Other discussion included thoughts on the Library acknowledging the fifteenth anniversary of September 11, 2001.  John stated he will post a tribute on the Library’s website.


John informed the Board that he is working on a project with couponing mentor Patty Cutroneo, to connect local pantries with the Plattekill Library’s couponing program. 


Committee Reports:



Unfinished Business:


Lynne has emailed Board members and the Director a compilation of comments submitted thus far from the Focus Groups. 


Lynne reviewed and discussed with the Board information gleaned from  the Focus Groups that have been presented so far.  This discussion determined a Focus Group exclusively for the Friends would not be required, as they have attended one of the several that have already taken place.  It was also noted there will not be any additional general public Focus Groups.  However, a Focus Group at the local schools may be considered. The presentation made at the Rotary on August 26 was also discussed.


Upcoming Focus Group: September 21, 2015 at 2pm at Aloha Acres.  The Board will review the possibility of presenting a Focus Group session at the upcoming Pirate Readaloud or having a signup sheet available for parents to indicate their interest in attending a future Focus Group.


Lynne requested that all Trustees please contribute a donation to the Community Foundation.


Status of Friends MOU: Will reported that because there was not a quorum at the Friends last meeting, they could not vote on the MOU.


New Business:


Liaison Report of September Friends meeting: 


·         Will noted the Friends are open to ideas for contributing to the Building Fund

·         Library staff should have their “wish lists” prepared for the Friends’ October meeting; lists should include parking lot lighting and lighting for the Library sign


Discussion determined that a contribution by the Friends to the Capital fund would be beneficial to the Library.


Lynne requested all Board members complete their MHLS Annual President’s Survey and bring it to the next Board of Trustees meeting.


The UCLA Annual Dinner is on September 28.  Currently four Board members are registered to attend.


The MHLS Annual Meeting is on October 16, at the Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel at 8:30am.  RSVPs are due by October 7; please advise Lynne of your intention to attend or not attend.


           Motion to enter into Executive Session to discuss a specific real estate transaction was made at 7:45pm was made by Valerie Smith and seconded by Karen Adamson; all others were in favor.


The Board came out of Executive Session at 8:24pm.




           Motion to adjourn was made at 8:25pm by Karen Adamson, seconded by David Padilla; all others in favor.




Donna Ebanks



Attachments filed with original:                Agenda

                                                                Bookkeeper’s Report

                                                                Circulation Statistics

                                                                Director’s Report